Tuesday, March 10, 2009

World Baseball Classic, Anyone?

I really don't understand why the World Baseball Classic is so divisive with fans. Sure, I understand why organizations don't want their pitchers competing at such a high level without their arms being in shape. I also understand why some players wouldn't want to compete in it, given the increased chance of injury hurting their financial outlook.

HOWEVER, why on earth fans can be ambivalent is something I just dont' get, but then, I'm a different sort of fan. I enjoy listening to meaningless spring training games, because it's baseball is back in my life. I enjoy listening to a whole album of songs about baseball (The Baseball Project...check them out). Why wouldn't I like watching real baseball on TV two to three weeks before the real thing? At this time of year, games are few and far between on TV. When I have a chance to watch something on Saturday and Sunday afternoon, isn't it better to be watching baseball than the Missouri Valley Conference quarterfinals? Please...who could forget Milt Pappas for Frank Robinson for god's sake? (Sorry, wrong rant)

So what if you don't find yourself rooting for Team USA to win this thing? You're not going to be rooting for most of the players in the league either, if you're like many fans who have one favorite team they care about. I just don't get it, but I don't need to. I'll happily watch Pudge ground out or a kid from Canada strike out the side any day of the spring, waiting for the real thing to begin.

No comments: